Thursday, March 4, 2010

3/5/10 Can we stop cuts to education?

I've created a letter as follows to be forwarded this week to all the senators and representatives of our state. Hopefully there will be some encouraging responses. The letter reads -


Dear Senator/Representative,

I am a full-time college student at BCTC in Lexington and am studying the budget crisis as part of a sociology project. More specifically, I am interested in the $46M in budget cuts to education over the next fiscal year. I have recorded the specific amounts per county scheduled to be cut already, and the percentages scheduled to be cut from the different areas of education depending on the county varies considerably. I would like to know as specifically as possible what alternatives there are to cutting funds from education or if there is a legal prevention method that citizens can engage in to force the state from approving the cuts that I’ve mentioned.

My project is a case study focusing on cuts to the state’s education budget. Its purpose is to determine what would need to be done so designated cuts could be taken from other areas. Please don’t underestimate my ablity to understand whatever you may feel necessary in your explanation or my determination to follow through with whatever actions you could recommend towards the outcome I suggested favorable in education. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope the question that I’ve presented you is not too daunting for a quick reply. Your response is necessary for me to obtain a grade for this project.

Please contact me through any of the methods that I’ve listed below. I am a second-year student (undecided major) with a high level of participation in college organizations including Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, BCTC Republicans, and Student Government. I plead your assistance in helping along my understanding of our own responsibility as citizens and our ability to participate in facilitating what is in the best interests of the people of the state.

Thank you again for your time.

To allow for full disclosure to my peers and professor, I've created a blog site where you may view my study's progress and comment at any time. I would be grateful for any comments or advice that you would be willing to share with us at any time. Please take care. We are all grateful for the job you do.

1 comment:

  1. I sent this question two weeks ago by mass email but received no responses. I just remailed this letter individually to each of the Senators and Representatives whose emails were listed in the state site. Hopefully this will get a better response.

    ReplyDelete